Compass provides digital as-built point clouds to assist architects, engineers and contractors in evaluating, assessing, designing and constructing their projects.
Compass incorporates over three decades of land surveying experience into our laser scanning work. We currently employ this new technology for engineering and architectural design, construction and final as-built verification of roadway and infrastructure projects.
What is Laser Scanning?
Laser scanning, also called 3D laser scanning or high definition surveying, is the process of converting physical objects, including buildings and infrastructure, into precise digital models. Today’s laser scanners produce a very dense collection of individual measurements called a “point cloud.”
What is Reality Capture?
Capturing the reality of the physical world around us has always been the first step in any design/build project. Reality capture is a way to document the environment around us in a 3D format, allowing designers and contractors to start their work with the most accurate, existing conditions model possible.
Every second, laser scanners can collect up to nearly a million measured 3D points, while integrating a color camera with automatic and distortion-free color overlay for all 3D scans. This provides general contractors, engineers, architects and sub-contractors with a visualization to understand the true existing and as-built conditions of any object, facility or building anywhere, anytime.
Applications for Laser Scanning:
- As-built Surveys for Building Renovations
- Building Information Modeling (BIM)
- Facility Management (FM)
- Roadway and Highway Surveys
- Bridges, Tunnels and Railroads
- Historic Building Preservation
- Piping and Ductwork Retrofits
- Construction Documentation
- Forensic Surveys
- Energy & Power
Benefits of Laser Scanning:
- Better Quality Results
- Complete Digital As-built Data
- Day or Night Use
- Faster Results
- Higher Level of Detail and Accuracy
- Indoor or Outdoor Use
- Safer Data Capture
- Speed of Data Collection
- Unobtrusive Data Capture
- Reduced Need for Site Re-visits
- Floor Plan (video)
- Façade (video)
- Topographic Elevations for ADA Compliance
- Space Planning
- Bridge survey
- Topographic survey
- Intersection study
- Volume metric calibration
- Rooftop inspections and detention (video)
- Floor Deviation (video)
- Wall Deviation (video)
- Column deviation (video)
- Forensic engineering and architecture (video – building collapse)
- Accident / arson scene documentation (video – crashed vehicle)
Laser scanning is one of the many technologies we use to ensure your project’s success from start to finish. We can provide custom electronic deliverables for the creation of 2D drawings or 3D models for a lump sum fee, or work within a not to exceed budget, for any scanning project.
Contact one of our expert professional land surveyors to discuss your land survey project or needs or to or to learn more about this powerful technology. You can also view some of our recent projects here.
Why Choose Compass
- Over three decades of diverse land surveying experience
- Unparalleled reputation for accurate, high quality survey work
- Trusted land boundary consultant for attorneys and title companies
- Outsource partner for civil engineers
- Both public and private sector experience
- Known for meeting demanding schedules and deadlines
- Lump sum or not to exceed pricing for every project
Call us at (630) 820-9100 or email us today to discuss your next project.
Photo courtesy of Faro Technologies, Inc.