Compass Surveying specializes in preparing boundary surveys for farmland, residential land development projects and subdivision plats.
Our expert professional land surveyors, each with more than 30 years of land surveying experience, have a thorough understanding and mastery of legal descriptions, deeds, record documents and boundary law. Our accurate, thorough and detailed boundary surveys prepared in accordance with the Illinois Boundary Survey Standards will withstand the scrutiny of buyers’ and sellers’ attorneys and title companies, ensuring a smooth real estate closing.
What is a Boundary Survey?
A boundary survey is a land survey performed for the purpose of locating and establishing the lines and corners of a parcel of land as legally described in a deed or document of record.
This survey involves field and office work, locating or setting (establishing) boundary corners, and the preparation of a “Plat of Survey” document showing all improvements, along with the relationship of possession lines (occupied lines) to record or title lines.
Types of Boundary Surveys
Boundary surveys can be divided into two basic categories:
- An Original Survey – which establishes boundary lines within an original division of a tract of land which has therefore existed as one parcel and describes boundary lines of a parcel or tract of land for the first time. An original survey creates new boundary lines.
- A Retracement Survey – which tracks the footsteps, or “follows in the footsteps” of an original survey, locating boundary lines that were established by the original survey.
The majority of boundary surveys performed today are retracement surveys.
Compass Surveying performs the following steps in the preparation of their Boundary Surveys:
- RESEARCH – After a client furnishes a legal description of the property, we perform extensive research of public and private survey records, including deeds of the subject parcel and if needed, adjoiners, recorded subdivisions and any roadway dedication documents that could affect the land boundary.
- FIELD WORK – Under the direct supervision of a professional land surveyor, our experienced field technicians perform a diligent search for property corners for the subject land parcel as well as adjoining properties, locating and measuring all monumentation and boundary evidence such as fences and improvements.
- BOUNDARY RESOLUTION – Our expert professional land surveyors, each with more than 30 years of land surveying experience, sort through all measurements, weigh all evidence and develop a defensible opinion as to the location of the boundary lines, applying boundary law principles to arrive at the location that represents the land boundary as established by the original surveyor.
- SET PROPERTY CORNERS – Under the direction of a professional land surveyor, our experienced field technicians return to the site to set missing property corners and mark existing ones. Fences and improvements near these locations are located and measured.
- PREPARE BOUNDARY SURVEY PLAT – Our experienced CAD technicians, under the direction of our expert professional land surveyors, produce a detailed plat showing the record and measured land boundary, all site improvements, off-site neighboring improvements within 5 feet of property boundary lines, and all site improvements. The plat is prepared and certified in accordance with the Illinois Boundary Survey Standards.
What Determines the Fee for a Boundary Survey?
Boundary Survey fees are determined by the following factors:
- Size of Property
- Complexity of the legal description
- Site conditions
- Weather conditions
- Expedited time frames
- Missing property corners due to construction
We can provide you with a lump sum fee or not to exceed budget for your project.
Our usual delivery time frame is 3-4 weeks from authorization, however, we can expedite our work to accommodate your schedule.
How to Order a Boundary Survey
The following information is needed to order a Boundary Survey:
- Legal description of property
- PIN (optional)
Contact one of our expert professional land surveyors to discuss your land survey project or needs or view some of our recent projects here.
Why Choose Compass
- Over three decades of diverse land surveying experience
- Unparalleled reputation for accurate, high quality survey work
- Trusted land boundary consultant for attorneys and title companies
- Outsource partner for civil engineers
- Both public and private sector experience
- Known for meeting demanding schedules and deadlines
- Lump sum or not to exceed pricing for every project
Call us at (630) 820-9100 or email us today to discuss your next project.
Compass performed a Boundary Survey for Oak Brook Promenade, a high end commercial development in Oak Brook, IL
Compass performed Boundary Surveys for the subdivision and development of Cantera, a 613 acre project in Warrenville, IL
Compass performed Boundary Surveys for the subdivision and development of Prairie Market, a 150 acre project in Oswego, IL